| Dong Chong Xia Cao||ChineseNutrition.org:|
Dong Chong Xia Cao in TCM:
English Name: cordyceps, Chinese caterpillar fungus
Pharmacuetical Name: Cordyceps
Properties: sweet, warmExplore the properties of Dong Chong Xia Cao according to Chinese
Nutrition and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM):
Channels: LU, KD
Tonifies: qi, yang
Regulates: resolves phlegm, stops bleeding
Actions / Indications:
- Augments KD Yang and Essence (sore and weak lower
back and lower extremities due to KD yang deficiency, impotence)
- Tonifies LU and KD; transforms phlegm; stops bleeding
(chronic cough, wheezing due to deficiency or consumptive coughs with
blood-streaked sputum; spontaneous sweating due to weak constitution
- (cc: caution in exterior syndrome)
- Pharmacologically Dong Chong Xia Cao has been shown to stimulate adrenal hormone secretion, the immune system, and male sperm count. It is also shown to lower blood pressure and stabilize heart rhythym. It relaxes smooth LU tissue to stabilize asthma and has also been shown to have cancer fighting neoplastic properties.
- Known as a superior and legendary herb, notoriously difficult to find in the wild.
- The cultivated herb is available cheaper but some say it is not as effective.